Enough waiting. We’re trying to provoke it.
The Ear is gathering like-minded composers to produce a steady flow of infectious, jaw-droppingly gorgeous new classical music that somehow captures Now. Over 600 composers have signed up to test their powers of persuasion. At every concert, we play ten short pieces. When each piece finishes, you – our listener – have one simple question to answer:
We need your help! Partner with us in finding and presenting living composers who write excellent MAINSTREAM classical music. We are currently booking performers with a new composition in their repertoire for a July concert in New York City. Here are the criteria for the repertoire:
1) Short pieces only. Max. 5 minutes. Free-standing OR a movement of a larger work.
2) A solo OR an ensemble piece (up to 25-ish). We will always have a piano.
3) The composer must currently be in the pink (breathing).
4) The piece MUST have a strong HOOK (a short, instantly-recognizable, infectious melodic idea made of pure compositional gold).
5) It must be mainstream classical, meaning: i) it must fit logically on a concert with Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, etc., and ii) it must not fit BETTER on a concert of another established style (jazz, pop, ‘new’ music, etc.)
We will do concerts as often as we have pieces to present, so the more the merrier. Please use the contact form below, and paste INTERESTED PERFORMER(S) into the subject line. We look forward to hearing you!
Alf Bishai, Artistic Director